Sharing is Caring, right?


I'm sharing my adventures from the D to the District, random thoughts, experiences living with Fibromyalgia, frustration with grad school, and exactly how I feel about the craziness going on in this world. I promise to keep it really real and I hope you learn something or laugh while here. And please...comment! ~Smooches, misstorilynn


Friday, June 25, 2010

Remembering Michael




June 25, 2009

I left work early to finish some last minute errands. I still needed a black clutch and some eyelash glue, haha. Bet, there was a Dots right next to the beauty supply store. (yes, to my surprise Dots is still in business.) That statement alone should let you know that I was living in the heart of Detroit at this time.

I got home with a few minutes to spare before I needed to take off for the airport. Vegas was awaiting my arrival.

It had only been two weeks since my surgery so I still wasn't moving that fast. I threw the final items in my luggage and started checking Twitter. And there they were...

My tweeps were saying that Michael Jackson was in the hospital. The KING OF POP was in critical condition. I immediately sat on my bed and turned on the TV - it couldn't be true.

My parents generation remember John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. Well, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the tragedies of Tupac, Aaliyah and Michael Jackson.

Everything was still speculation as my father drove me to the airport. I couldn't even think about what was to come with my first trip to Vegas because all I wanted to know was - was he alive.

Twitter was saying yes...but I was holding out until CNN confirmed. I refused to believe my beloved micro-blogging haven.

But by the time I passed thru security and walked toward my gate, it was all too apparent. Every TV in the airport was covering THE DEATH OF MICHAEL JACKSON.

I distinctly remember one janitor, who looked like he had just lost his brother, he was overwhelmed with sadness and looked at me and sad, "sis, I can't believe it."

Arriving in Vegas was a bitter sweet moment. Impersonators were out and MJ music was blaring. It was very nostalgic.

How about you, do you remember the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment