Sharing is Caring, right?


I'm sharing my adventures from the D to the District, random thoughts, experiences living with Fibromyalgia, frustration with grad school, and exactly how I feel about the craziness going on in this world. I promise to keep it really real and I hope you learn something or laugh while here. And please...comment! ~Smooches, misstorilynn


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mom never rewarded me for getting A's

Father's Day was this past Sunday and as I posted on FB, it's going to take me a minute to consider that a holiday. While this year I made sure to buy a card and make that phone call even though my dad was in Aruba - it's just not something I'm use to.

I called Aubrella last week when I was in the greeting card section and of course she asked "why" because for most of our lives (and still hers) it's just another day.

Don't get me wrong, my father and I have come along way with our relationship in the last three years, and I think I have his evil wife to thank for most of it. Still trying to figure out why he is married to her, but that is a different entry. But it is because of him that I was able to get my new apartment so I figured, ok, he has actually been a father this past year; I'll recognize this holiday for 2010.

But reading Leonard Pitts Jr's article in the Detroit Free Press today made me rethink, well hell ... isn't he suppose to be there in my times of need.

I can best relate this situation to my years in school. My classmates would always discuss how much money that got for their report cards and I was always standing around like, uh, no my mom doesn't do that. And not because she was low on funds, but because she always said, "I'm not rewarding you for getting good grades because that is what is expected."

So on Sunday, I really wanted to post "Happy Sperm Donor Day" because that's all that a ton of men have done. They haven't made any other prolific contributions to the lives of their children.

Check out the Detroit Free Press article here, but think of this concept in terms of the big picture. Don't have high expectations for recognition or rewards for doing something that should come naturally.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100622/OPINION05/6220322/1320/Expectations-for-dads-not-what-they-used-to-be

No comments:

Post a Comment